Monday, April 6, 2009

La Jolla, Austin, or Nashville

I really do hate moving. I think I've moved enough in the last couple years for a long time to come. Maybe it's the fact that I feel like I've spent the last few months living out of a suitcase as well. I've decided I really do hate moving and packing and all that.

Brode and I still haven't decided where we will be living and it's starting to seriously stress me out some. Originally Brodie wasn't going to renew his contract with the US Army, however we're considering it now. They've offered us some deals that we kinda have to consider. Here are the the choices:
  • We move back to La Jolla and take jobs doing something tbd. This means Brode leaves active duty with the military as originally planned. Brodie was looking at joining the Foreign Service and this is still a strong option. This was intially the first choice for us because we wanted to be back in SoCal and Brode's parents are down there. Besides it's the land of sunny beaches, Disneyland, and In N Out, doesn't get much better than that! The major con is neither of us really have job ideas in San Diego right now, but oh well-- I miss the homeland. Besides, if Brode did go the FSO route SoCal would be just temporary because we'd end up in Wash. DC for a year of training and then wherever the state department sent us.
  • Next choice and option is to move to Texas. You read that right Texas... not the first choice, but actually would be a decent place to be for awhile. I've been talking with some people at the GOP offices in Austin and Brode's been talking with the army about relocating to Fort Houston in San Antonio and running some stuff down there. This is actually not a bad option for us. Only problem is we'd have to live between the two cities which means in the freakin' middle of nowhere Texas! I don't mind Austin or San Antonio, but an hour away from both would kinda suck which is what we're looking at if we move here; not to mention a somewhat long commute for one or both of us.
  • The latest one that was proposed this last week was moving to Nashville. And yes, you read that right too- I could be living in Tennesse. (Yeah, I'm just as shocked to read the words too.) Brode has been in talks to take over a post at Fort Campbell. I'm really not liking this option much at all. Did I mention Fort Campbell is on the TN-KY border and there is a slight chance we'd end up living in Kentucky? Writing "Kentucky" or "Tennesee" as my address is pretty much just as bad as Arkansas, Alabama, or New Mexico. Seriously, though what am I going to do in Nashville or Kentucky? I really want to veto this one big time, but can't yet.
  • Final option I guess would be we stay in Kansas. Well I'd still have to move there, but Kansas is sounding better than Nashville. We already have good friends in the area, a house, and know and like the area enough to make it home for awhile.
Right now it's looking like it's between middle of nowhere Texas and stupid Nashville. I'm really not sure how this happened and I wish La Jolla would win out. However, I'm also well aware that there are things that could be worse- like redeployment. Anyway, least this latest move would keep us out of that arena and I feel kinda selfish saying that. So say a prayer with us for the men and women serving overseas in combat zones and for their families at home.

(*I have to say this, President Obama's plan for Afghanistan is a disaster waiting to happen! It will just escalate the war and if anyone thought the Iraq war was ill planned-- get ready for another Vietnam situation.)

4 comments:

  1. No moving to middle of no where Texas and especially no to Nashville. This would be almost as bad as when I got stuck in what might as well have been Egypt. Stay westcoast, its where you two belong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nashville wouldn't be so bad... I liked it. Naomi likes it a lot and is living there with her husband who is stationed at the same base. I'd come visit if you lived there an we could go visit Keith and Nicole. It's like a mini hollywood the music industry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way, no how- no Nashville! Austin-yes, DC- hell yes. San Diego- sure why not. That's how I see it. You and Peanut need to come visit me sometime soon in DC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least you'd be living in a red state if it ends up being Nashville or Texas. Better than blue or purple... And Nashville would still technically top ATL I'm sure. Mer's right, its a mini-wanna-be-hollywood.

    ReplyDelete