Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Job interviews and house shopping

I decided I very much dislike job interviews and house hunting. Well, I actually don't mind house hunting as much as the first thing. Brodie's been of course interviewing with the army at Fort Campbell and we've been in the greater Nashville area the last few days. Next Monday we're going to be back in San Antonio doing the same.

We also looked at some houses in Clarksville (an "army town" halfway between Nashville and the base). I have to say it's a nice enough area, but really not for me. I'm still hoping we end up either in La Jolla or at least what I've dubbed "middle of nowhere Texas between Austin and San Antonio". Brode and I both feel that Tennessee really isn't for us. It's too far from our families and friends and just not where we want to be in the end.

Anyway, here are the highlights from our time in Nashville:
  • Stock-Yard- It's supposed to be one of the top 10 steakhouses in the US and also home to the oldest bottle of wine known to exist in the US. Of course this claim to fame meant Brode had to check it out. We think they definitely are one of the best steakhouses and can keep their title.
  • Nashville also has some other great restaurants too that we got to check out.
  • Shopping is ok- but there is no Nordstrom or other places I frequent. There is a Tiffany's, and yes, I do have the best fiance ever! Brodie just calls it doing his part to stimulate the economy- works for me :)
  • Country music hall of fame and all the Nashville music stuff. If you're here you have to check it all out. So we did.

And now for the Texas portion update. We've had an amazing time in Texas so far and I really like it much better than Nashville. I'm hoping we end up here if it has to be anywhere other than SoCal. Interviews today went well and we looked at a few houses in San Antonio. Ideally we'd want to be somewhere between Austin and San Antonio. Whatever work I would want to do with politics would be based more out of Austin of course.

I love the river walk in San Antonio. Mix great shopping and restaurants with a gorgeous setting and I'm as good as home. Like I said I could live here. We'll be here one more day then we're driving up to spend a couple days in Austin.

Brode and I both really like staying in hotels that are both luxurious but not too big and more unique than your average Hyatt or Hilton. We also look for ones that aren't in the center of the crazy downtown districts. Brodie is also somewhat obsessed with antiques and unique furniture. Both hotel's we're staying at meet our requirements for decor with an extensive collection of unique furniture and art.

If you're ever in San Antonio and need a good place to stay we love the La Mansion del Rio. It's on the River Walk and the perfect combination of Texas style and luxury. This is my third time staying here and I love it. If you stay here try to get a room over looking the river walk-- it is so pretty :) The historic building also is part of San Antonio's story and beauty.

When we're in Austin we'll be staying at the Mansion at Judge's Hill. It's similar in style to the del Rio and is also a historic building loaded with Texas style and antiques. And yes they both used to be old mansions build in the late 19th/early 20th century. I got to stay at the Mansion during the campaign and and of course I love it. It's close the capitol and UT.

We hope you're all doing well and we are really starting to look forward to and get excited about our wedding which is a matter of weeks away!! :)

2 comments:

  1. check your damn facebook account! And if you end up moving any state starting with a "T" I think I'm going to freak out. Enough of this moving biz. I blame Brode.... and so does Sammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those two hotels! Remember when were were at that same hotels w/ the campaign..... good times!

    ReplyDelete